Book #10 - Becoming Your Husband's Best Friend

At our wedding reception 12 years ago, we laid out a giant poster of our engagement photo and asked the guests to sign it.  The poster now hangs framed on our bedroom wall.  One of my favorite captions reads,

“STAY MARRIED!  Advice from your favorite Aunt Helen.”

She would know.  She’s been married three times.

It would be nice and tidy and convenient if I my relationship with my husband could be summed up like a cheesy romance novel:  we fall in love at first sight in high school gym class, raise ten gorgeous, perfect children, and live happily ever after with never a harsh word spoken for 60 years, then pass away simultaneously while sitting on a park bench, holding hands.

Sorry.  We happen to be real people in a real marriage. 

We’ve had beautiful moments of pure joy and ugly, uncomfortable scenes in couple’s therapy.  We’ve experienced fun, child-free years where we traveled, spent irresponsibly, and stayed out late.  We’ve also had challenging, physically exhausting years raising three children where our fantasies generally involve sleeping in or getting a two-hour, Sunday afternoon nap.

We’ve made it through twelve years of marriage without giving up yet.  However, if I want to dance with Ryan on our 50th wedding anniversary, I know it’s not going to happen by chance.

Therefore, I thought it would be helpful to read How to Become Your Husband’s Best Friend by Lisa and David Frisbie.  I opened this book a little leery of the demands the authors might ask of me.  Would I have to get up at 5:00 am everyday to shower, dress myself in stylish, non-mommie type clothing, and apply makeup like a beauty queen?  Would they tell me to shave my legs and wear lingerie every night?  Would they instruct me to cook more, vacuum more, and do laundry more often so my husband never runs out of clean underwear?   Would I have to take a more enthusiastic interest in his hobbies by watching mafia movies so I could talk intelligently about The Godfather, Casino, or Donnie Brasco on our date nights?

Not at all, thank goodness.

The advice in How to Become Your Husband’s Best Friend is simple, straight-forward, and practical.  The underlying theme of the book is this:  if a wife wants a better marriage, then it starts with her.  She must change, regardless of all the faults she sees in her husband.  The authors then detail five areas in which the wife can focus: 

(1)   Unspoken Expectations
(2)   Unconscious Pride
(3)   Unrelenting Criticism
(4)   Unhelpful Gossip
(5)   Unresolved Bitterness

These five topics reminded me to refrain from nagging, criticizing him, holding grudges, and to never say unkind things about him behind his back.  I’m definitely not the perfect wife, but I hope, at least, I am trying my best.

This is how I see my marriage in a nutshell:

I have a kind-hearted, good man.  He works like a dog six days a week and hands me his paycheck every Friday.  He helps with the dishes, puts the kids to bed, and does anything else I ask.  He loves our children and takes them out on dates.  He rubs my achy feet at night and doesn’t make critical comments about my appearance, mothering skills, or house keeping skills.  He is genuinely interested in my happiness.

I would be an idiot to tear him down.  He’s not perfect, but neither am I.  I have plenty of my own issues to work on.  It’s a destructive waste of time to focus on his.

My husband asks for very little.  His one demand?  a weekly date night.  I could whine and tell you how I’m so tired after an exhausting week of cranky kids, piano lessons, tee ball, swim lessons, homework, cooking, cleaning, blah, blah, blah, that it’s too hard for me to go out every Saturday night when my body is screaming,

“Just let me lay down!”

However, that attitude is not going to help my marriage.  So I do it.  I arrange for babysitters, get myself gussied up, and go out on a date with my husband with a smile. 

I initially thought I would read this book in secret, test out the ideas on my husband, and see if he noticed the changes.  However, I didn’t want him to feel like my behavior was just a weekly blog stunt.  I want him to know my efforts are sincere. So, I read the book a few months ago, took notes, and worked on myself for a while.   I don’t know if I am my husband’s best friend, but I think it’s a worthy goal regardless of the results.  As the authors so perfectly state:

“Becoming a godly woman is its own reward.”







If you would like to be entered in this week's drawing for a $25 gift card to Amazon.com, please leave a comment below with the best marriage advice you have ever heard or received.  The drawing ends on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 11:59 pm PST.  Please leave an email address where you can be contacted if you are the winner.  Good Luck!

The WINNER of the drawing is:  Ashley demureprincess7(at)gmail(dot)com.

98 comments:

  1. This is a really interesting post! I'm coming up for my third anniversary with my wonderful hubby and have come to realize that marriage is a lot more hard work, patience and deep breathing than I ever anticipated. Sure I intellectually knew it wouldn't be a romance novel (simultaneously passing away holding hands on the bench! I had a good giggle about that one) but I don't think I thought much further than that. Someone once told me that the only way to stay married was to resist the temptation to kill or divorce your husband. They were only half joking. I actually think it gets at what your auntie was saying... Stick with it!


    Congratulations on twelve wonderful years together. Beginners like me have a lot to learn and reading this post has given me more to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definately think there are low moments in a marriage when the accidental death of your spouse seems embarrassingly appealing....did I just say that? Way to go on three years! You are exceeding most Hollywood marriages at least by one year and you beat Kim Kardashian by a landslide! Nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best advice I was given was to do and say everything with kindness. It is absolutely the most important thing I was told. Thanks so much for the fantastic giveaway!
    Renee Walters
    Bored2quickly@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, this one is very cliche, but I think it's repeated so often because it's so true: Go into your marriage with your eyes wide open, but after that, keep them half-closed. You have to really know if a person has the same priorities and values as you do before you commit, but once you're stuck for the long-haul, you have to really learn to tolerate their myriad imperfections... and hope they tolerate yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THe best advice I got was that you need to be able to compromise. It can;t always be your way or his way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best advice that I received was to remember to that you're friends first and treat each other with kindness and love always. Let the small things go and forget the big things.
    Thanks so much.
    rickpeggysmith(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The best advice I have gotten is to compromise. We do things and talk about subjects that interests him but I have no interest in and visa versa.

    s2s2 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. The best advice I recieved was to discuss Money upfront and work out a budget together.
    dawns_horizen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be a good listener.

    rhoneygtn at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Practice good personal grooming. Seriously, more people divorce because of this than you'd realize.

    ighmeg at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Read The 5 Love Languages and understand your spouses love language.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the best marriage advice I've ever heard is that love is sometimes a choice.

    kristakimmel at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  13. To make sure that you never make any negative comments about his family.

    tbarrettno1 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. communication and be a good listener.
    tcarolinep at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The best advice that i ever heard was to never speak out of anger. Also, be a forgiving person. Holding on to past problems just causes future problems.
    chacha6581(@) yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The best advice is never go to bed mad at each other.
    mintstatesportswear(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have a scheduled date night once a week.

    mommync3 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. being honest with one another and to never take any of your marriage or relationship for granted. Just be there when you are needed even if they dont say they are okay, just help each other get through it.

    pokergrl8 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Make sure that you really know your spouse and that you agree on the important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The best advice I've heard is "never go to bed angry." Don't let problems fester and build tension. Try to let the small things go ..and MOST of the issues are small things!
    ucfstarlette@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Remember those first few months fondly and it will help you rekindle your romance.
    Thanks for the chance.
    mogrill12@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't dwell on your husband small flaws and ask him to do the same for you in return.
    lenz.nicole(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. The best marriage advice I ever heard was that "Marriage is a lifelong friendship, sometimes it's a challenge, but the companionship is worth it. It's a lot of work, but some of the most fulfilling work there is, to share your life with one you love. "
    Thank you for the giveaway :)
    hurdler4eva(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The best advice I received was to "say something to nice to your spouse everyday". The priest who married us gave us this advice. If you do this each and every day, it really does make a difference.

    sandysaveseveryday AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  25. The best advice I've received is to never go to bed angry!
    ajoy1332 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. The best advice I received is that marriages go through stages. Sometimes he'll be more loving than I feel or vice versa. The key is to not let yourself believe the romance is gone, but it's just a stage or phase and it will pass.

    demureprincess7(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  27. February 11th will be my 35th anniversary, and the best advice I can share with you that really works, is no matter what never go to bed mad. say you're sorry even if he's wrong. and kiss goodnight. it really is important because you want to start every day off happy. no left over anger. it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Turning off the heat during a winter's night encourages snuggling. That is my best tip.

    xxbowietipxx@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. My mom always said, "Marry for money and learn to love em'!" Unfortunately none of us kids listened!
    dolniaks at consolidated dot net

    ReplyDelete
  30. never married..but my advice is dont get married if you're broke because that seems to be all the troubles

    ReplyDelete
  31. The best advice I've received is to take time out for yourself now and then. It's easy to get annoyed at your partner when you don't have your own interests and lives apart too.
    ericacarnes(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  32. The best marriage advice I ever heard was from the minister who married my husband five years ago. He told us that touch was an important part of marriage, and to make a point to spend time together holding hands, cuddling and being intimate. I've found that no matter how my day is going, making time to cuddle with my husband on the couch makes me feel so much closer to him. We also have some of our best conversations this way.
    lajohnson555 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  33. You need to forget some arguements in order to have a happy life.
    slkkitchen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. to never go to bed angry!
    Thanks for a great contest! Janna Johnson jannajanna@hotmail.com
    janna@feedyourpig on gfc www.feedyourpigblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. The best advice is to ASK what the other person wants, then listen to what they say. I like that advice, because we so often try to anticipate what the other person is thinking, and it seems that we all often get it wrong. So I remember to ask.

    klconn7 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  36. No matter how busy you are, there's always time for 5 minutes of quality "connecting" time. A hug, a smile into someone's eyes; these kinds of things are so important that without them we can feel disconnected from the people we love the most, sometimes without even realizing it.

    cbstrat (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  37. Be a good listener and see things from a different view.

    rareblackbird@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. The best marriage advice I ever received is cliche, but it's to never go to bed angry. My husband and I had a miserable first 13 years of marriage. He was a drunk and an agnostic and I was just the complete opposite - the one who worked hard, took the kids to church and struggled to keep the family together. I often wondered if it was really worth it. Thankfully, in the past 2 years my husband has come to a personal relationship with Christ and has made a complete turnaround in his life. I am so proud of him and so blessed by him now. All my prayers have been answered.
    Sorry to go off on that side rant. :) Thanks for the contest and I really enjoyed this post!
    mannasweeps (at) gmail dOT com

    ReplyDelete
  39. The best marriage advice I ever received was to never let your spouse leave the house mad without telling them you love them. Because you never know what's going to happen once one of you leaves the house. You don't want the last things you say to one another to be mean. A little morbid, I know...but it can also diffuse an angry situation very well. It also reminds me how lucky I am.

    dinorockmom at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  40. The best marriage advice I ever received was to make up my mind that divorce was not an option. If you never give it a thought, you won't even entertain the idea when something goes wrong. You will work to fix the problem instead of getting out of it completely.

    tcsalvia at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  41. The advice I was given was that my wife is not part of my life forever so always remember that her feelings are as important as my own feelings.

    dhealey123@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. At our wedding 8 years ago, we had everyone write down some "advice" they would like to give us as started our life together. One of the ones that has ALWAYS stayed with me was "Remember your Please and Thank yous" Sounds simple but those simple words really go a very long way.

    The couple that gave us that advice has since divorced. But for my husband and I we are still together and still in love and still happy. Now 8 years isn't that long but we realize there is alot to staying married. Its just to easy to get divorced and walk away. We are committed to staying together. So anything that helps with that is go in my book! I will deg being checking this book out!!!!

    maryjeanrenshaw@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. simple listen i mean really listen to your mate. don't put yourself first
    mverno@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete
  44. A happy wife means a happy life.
    sweeper10301@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. Marriage is hard work, don't give up when times are tough. And never go to bed angry.
    odessafreyATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  46. The best marriage advice I've received was to stop whenever you're about to start or escalate an argument or do something you shouldn't, to take a step outside yourself and imagine yourself from your spouse's perspective - to see how you look in his/her eyes and imagine how your spouse would feel as a result of your words or actions.

    gkaufmanss@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. To treat each other with respect. It sure sounds obvious, but I'm amazed at how many couples don't.

    gvgreetings(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  48. Put more into your marriage than you want out of it. Works every time. :) Thanks. (email in profile)

    ReplyDelete
  49. The best advice I was ever given is to never go to bed angry. Regardless of any arguement we might have had, we always kiss eachother good night and tell eachother I love you.

    babyallen0812 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  50. The best advice I have heard lately is to unplug! I can't tell you how often we are sitting next to each other, but completely separated by technology.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Someone once asked my husband how he introduced me...My husband said I say this is my wife of course. He said no. Don't say that. She's not an object. Find a way to introduce her in a way that doesn't define her as your property. Now he introduces me as "The women I fell madly in love with, Melanie." I love it!


    clarkmurdock@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. Let the one who is good at handling money control the money.
    chainmail (at)iwon dot com

    ReplyDelete
  53. I was told to always think where half way is then walk there together
    vmkids3 at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  54. I believe it is important in a marriage not to forget about taking care of yourself. If you do not feel good about yourself it will be hard to put yourself out there for your spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Well I have never been married, but I have been engaged. The best advice I have, is always be honest with each other. You dont have a relationship, if you arent honest.

    itsjustme62613 at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  56. My Daddy gave me the best wedding advice EVER on my wedding day, just before he walked me down the aisle. Keep in mind, this is coming from the ultimate redneck dad. LOL He said, "Always put your cap on backwards if you're coming home mad." In other words....always give your spouse a warning/clue/heads-up that you're in a bad mood so they don't accidentally make it worse and incur your wrath. That advice has saved MANY fights for me!
    Becky Adams
    ohsohappy6@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  57. The best advice I have ever been given in regards to my marriage is short, sweet, and totally helpful...."Think about what you say before you say it". Thank you for the wonderful giveaway!

    blueseahorse at ymail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  58. Best advice I ever read was in a book many, many years ago and I don't remember the title. It said men are like a lawnmower with a very simple engine and not much to adjust for it to run correctly... and women are like the engine in a sports car. I will never forget that!
    hiwendyhi at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Never go to bed angry.
    tara.huff(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  60. The best advice i've ever gotten is "The grass always looks greener on the other side, but it needs mowing just the same"

    ReplyDelete
  61. The best advice I have gotten but is a little crass, "Men love a lady on the street and a whore between the sheets" This statement is true and has helped me very much in my marriage.

    dythia_99(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  62. Always say I love you before you leaver or before you got to bed at night.
    kathyluman@gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  63. The best marriage advice I ever got was never take each other for granted. honeypie411 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  64. The best advice is compromise. It is not all about you. You are a team and both are equally important. People forget that as we live in a world so focused on "me".

    ReplyDelete
  65. Your marriage is what YOU make it.
    stanleybilly(at)bellsouth(dot)net

    ReplyDelete
  66. it's been said millions of times, but it is so true. never go to bed angry.

    marygardner49 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  67. Marriage is not always easy. The best words I've heard related to marriage is that you get out of it what you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Always make time for yourselves
    jofo120 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  69. Be open and honest in your relationship.
    aunteegem@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  70. Ask yourself what it is I can do for the other person, not what the other person can do for me.

    That is the best marriage advice I have heard. Thank you for the giveaway. I enjoyed your write-up.

    msurosey@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  71. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  72. Some arguments would never have advanced to arguments had I asked myself this question: Is is more important to be "right" or is it more important to have "peace".

    keys90005 (at) gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  73. dont marry anyone who doesnt have the same interests as you

    ReplyDelete
  74. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  75. Best advice I received was "Don't do it!" Hehe

    nicwillwin@aol.com Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  76. listen and then speak
    ardelong2(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  77. I think still having a planned date night is the best advice I received..

    ltlbit1 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  78. OPRAH Winfrey said "Do you want to be right, or do you want peace?"
    These are wonderful words to live by. I enjoy peace.

    ReplyDelete
  79. Keep communicating is the best advice I've received

    kport207 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  80. my best advice to give is to pick your battles. some things are worth fighting for and others are worth giving in. it's about compromise and living together daily thanks clallen at ntin dot net

    ReplyDelete
  81. Always tell your honest opinion. If you don't like something, the truth will eventually come out, so just say it to begin with.

    sugarsweet7202@yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  82. I think the best advice I've gotten is to choose your battles wisely. Since I don't make mountains out of molehills, our relationship goes much more smoothly than it would otherwise.
    luckyjd2k@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  83. I read it actually. Loretta Lynn stated in an interview once about why she stayed w/her rowdy & cheating husband. She said she loved him. That she made her vows before God. And that sometimes, you have to not only bend backwards, but all the way over again.

    Life isn't perfect. Our babies are born w/rose colored glasses. As a whole, she was simply stating that the world often gives up on things so easily. That you make your promises, and you have to keep them. Or do your hardest to make it work.

    momma.money at gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  84. communication is important as in comprise. Sometimes he is going to get his way and sometimes you are. You need to learn to pick your battles. Is him picking up his socks worth fighting about everyday?

    mellanhead74 at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  85. Some good advice to live by in marriages and life itself is "Don't sweat the small stuff"

    brich22 at earthlink dot net

    ReplyDelete
  86. Don't go to bed angry.
    Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  87. love each always
    amy16323(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  88. Make time for your husband, it can be hard when you have a lot of kids! :)

    ReplyDelete
  89. The best advice I ever got was to say what you want or need. You can't expect him to read your mind (and don't get mad when he doesn't).
    willitara [at] gmail [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  90. Learn how to fight the right way!
    heatherpooh (hotmail)

    ReplyDelete
  91. Never go to bed angry. Talk it out, and don't let it fester.
    wallindeb@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  92. The best advice is nothing good or bad lasts forever.

    daveshir2005@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  93. The best marriage advice I've ever received was from a dear friend of mine. She said always remember to tell your spouse how appreciative you are of them. I didn't realize how important those words could be until it was almost too late.
    LuckyTJG at cs dot com

    ReplyDelete
  94. The best advice I have ever heard is don't go to bed angry. In other words don't let an argument go unresolved. garrettsambo@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  95. I honestly was just going to write the same thing as above: Never go to bed angry.
    donna444444@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  96. Thank you to everyone who left comments with interesting marriage advice. It definately made me re-think the whole "never go to bed angry" idea. I always figured that I should get some sleep and try to hash things out with a fresh mind in the morning.

    The winner of this week's drawing was Ashley - demureprincess7(at)gmail(dot)com. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete